Monday, October 02, 2006

PASS THE PLATE, NOT THE ONIONS

I hope that nobody thinks my title means I don't like onions. They are great when they are made as onion rings. And on stuff like burgers they are wonderful too.

But I'm not too keen on having them raw where you eat them by themselves. Which I guess is my choice.

Actually for the most part I don't know anyone that loves to eat raw onions. So from my view there isn't much reason for somebody to put them on a plate to be part of a meal. And especially if you are having something to eat like pancakes.

The other day Otis and I got invited over to Granny Potts for breakfast. She normally is a good cook and kind of treats us as if she is our grandma. So when she asks us to come by for something to eat we never say no.

Well I guess on this particular day she was trying to you know get ahead on fixing dinner so in addition to whipping up a huge batch of pancakes, she was fixing some kind of casserole. And I guess she needed a whole bunch of onions for it.

So there we were having pancakes with all the good stuff and lots of bacon and sausage, not to mention plenty of syrup and butter when she put this big plate of diced onions on the table. Only we weren't quite sure why she had onions out there at the time, but when she insisted we eat up, we didn't want to offend her and so we dumped a heap of onions over our pancakes.

She got busy talking on the phone and I want to tell man, pancakes sure don't taste better when under a heap of onions. And trying to wash them down with milk didn't help either. I guess I was grateful that this time she didn't mess up and give us buttermilk though. That was a blessing.

Anyway we were sitting there and doing our best to not let the taste of all those onions get to us and I guess doing plenty of belching in the process when she finally came back to sit down. By then we had managed to finish off the onions and of course the pancakes too.

That's when she looked at the empty plate of onions and wondered what happen to them since she had cut them up for dinner. That was when Otis and I sort of realized that when she said eat up she didn't mean the onions.

But we didn't want to look like idiots so we just tried to play dumb on the onions. Thank goodness she got busy and then forgot about them till she got more of them out and started dicing them up.

As for Otis and I, well, outside of having way too much gas we did survive. But next time we both know we are going to be a lot more careful about reaching for the onions when at her house and she says eat up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home