Friday, September 22, 2006

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

Over at STINK when we get close to payday, but are all out of bucks, it is time for beg, borrow and deal. That is the big event of brown bag bartering which we do in order to spice up our lunch options.

In my case though I generally rely on my more sophisticated Bug's Bunny Lunch Box to carry my lunches. I think it is just a tad better than messing with those darn bags.

Plus you don't have to worry as much about any possible grease stains from say week old French Fries or some other stuff you are trying to dump off on somebody. But the principle is still same. It is a matter of getting someone to agree to swap their lunch for yours.

I just wish I could say that all the grimefighters I worked with were totally honest when it came to the borrowing part. They have been known to stretch the truth in order to make a swap of some kind. It is kind of sad to seem their resort to such tactics to get rid of something, but you know when you got ten cents to your name and pay day is still two days away you do crazy things.

I do have to admit that some of the ways I've seen people stretch the truth is kind of amazing. Like the one time this dude tried to pass an old hot dog off as a Twinkie by wrapping it in toilet paper. Boy I'm sure glad I didn't fall for that one!

Oh there have been other memorable moments too. Such as when somebody cleaned out this hamster change and tried to pass the stuff off as trail mix. Fortunately, he fessed up about fibbing before I put a handful in my mouth and — um, you get the idea I bet.

Anyway, things can get kind of weird in those moments. But probably the worse is the day before payday. Talk about slim pickens!

Man that is when you can depend on stuff like peanut butter and (I'll let you use your imagination for what gets added other than jelly) or sometimes a mayonnaise sandwich. Those sure require a lot of creativity to eat and pretend there is something on them other than mayo.

Sometimes we do get down to the bare minimum at our apartment too. That's when Otis decides that stuff like popcorn is a good lunch. I'm just glad we've never gotten to the point of making tuna fish sandwiches from a can named Friskies though like one guy tried.

Well, I mainly mentioned this since we getting close to the end of the pay period again. I just hope all the guys checked the calendar this time. There is nothing sadder than seeing some super hero grimefighter who misjudged the days and ends up begging for lunch. It just don't look right. Plus the guys have a tendency to make me feel stupid when I — um, happy lunch to one and all, with or without a lunch pale. May all you lunches before payday be other than from a can with the name Friskies or Alpo on it.

Thought for the week: "Are turnovers, leftovers you put somewhere other than left?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home