Monday, October 30, 2006

MY, MY, MY

I rank this up there with something like "gimmie, gimmie, gimmie" in terms of being important. There are just a few things you just got to be able to repeat normally three times for them to be appreciated.

The one thing we do know is that my, my, my is different from mine, mine, mine. And I hope we all understand the difference.

With mine, mine, mine you are saying, "keep your grubby paws of what is mine!" Or something along the lines of "I got dibs on this whatever and you better not even thought about touching it."

Whereas with something like "my, my, my" I think you are more expressing some kind of concern. Which means you are seeing something that sucks and really sad about it.

Because if you aren't sad then you don't care and you won't end up saying 'my, my, my.' You might give it a "oh well." Which to me is sort of the way of saying, "who gives a flip" without being insulting about it.

So "my, my, my" is kind of important because you know the person cares. Still, it is important to watch how the person says it too.

I learned that from my buddy Otis and seeing how he says that. There are the times where he really is concerned. And can tell because there is a lot of zing in his tone like somebody gave him a giant wedgy.

Then there are the times when it is more of a yawn. That is the type where he says it because it needs to be said, but he doesn't allow himself to get very excited about it.

Like for example if I happen to be out of jelly beans. He'll sit there when I tell him and sort of casually say, "oh my, my, my." He'll through in the "oh" part for what is called affect. That is where you don't care, but think adding an "oh" will make it seem like you do.

Then there are the times such as say when he is out of Spam. In those case it is, "MY, MY, MY." Often it is followed somewhere by the word God being added. Like the Lord is to blame for some reason because he ran out of Spam.

Now the big difference between these two, is that with the 'my, my, my" types of response we don't go and fetch more jelly beans right away. Whereas if it involves a "MY, MY, MY" from something like a lack of Spam then we are going to take care of it right then. And I mean right then even if it is two in the morning.

So in this case I do always have a lot of reason to pay attention to how this is said. In my situation it comes down to knowing if I'm going to get my jelly beans right now or a whole lot later. That is the kind of my, my, my that really makes a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home