Sunday, March 12, 2006

A LITTLE DAB WITH BOO YAH

Some people are never satisfied. Even if you try to do something nice for them, they will still find a reason to complain.

We got this neighbor who is like that. Now for me it is no big deal. When the lady gets crabby too much I just don’t waste time talking to her.

That works for me, but not for my buddy Otis. He gets funny about junk like that. I guess he treats it as sort of a challenge.

So he hit upon this idea that I’ll call, “Let’s be nice to the old crabby neighbor lady and do what we can to make her have a reason to smile and maybe get her to be happy no matter how much she complains.” At least that is the way he seems to approach the whole thing.

Anyway this one day when she was in a really extra grumpy mood Otis decided he would invite her over for lunch. Like Saturday was honestly a good day to try this when we have worked all week and are tired. I wanted to have some fun, watch some cool movies and have something good to eat.

My plan would have been fun. It would have been one to remember. But it wasn’t going to happen with Otis in his let’s be nice to the old crab plan.

What happen first was he made me go over and invite her to lunch while he went shopping. Man was that the pits. She grilled me forever about stuff like what we were going to eat, how much we were going to charge for the meal and what were we selling to get her to come over and give her a free meal.

Well let me tell you it was all I could do just to keep from losing it with her after all those questions. At one point I have to admit despite what I was taught about not hitting girls and stuff, which I still think is a good idea, I did get rather in a temporary mood to shut her up with my bat. But I didn’t do it.

Eventually I did manage to get her to come to lunch. Otis whipped up some nice sandwiches. She complained about the bread tasting funny and the lunch meat seeming a little old.

We survived that little fun and then for dessert Otis served some nice hot apple pie. Well, to make it special he added a nice dab of ice cream. You would have figured that would at least have drawn a smile from the old lady.

It didn’t happen. She said the apple pie was too tart and hot and that the ice cream was too cold. Not exactly my idea of a good time.

At least she didn’t gripe about not being asking to pay anything or us trying to sell her anything. And I was glad when she left and I got to go back to watching movies.

The good part is that Otis hasn’t been too insistent on asking her to come over again. But we still get a dab of ice cream with our pie. It works for us at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home