Thursday, January 05, 2006

CHOOSE, BRUISE AND SNOOZE

There’s this one brand of watch out there that has this slogan about taking a licking and keeps on ticking. Course I do wonder if it might keep on ticking better without the licking or is this some kind of thing where it needs that kind of motivation to work right?

At times I guess I feel like one of those watches. Well I suppose any grimefighter does to some degree. Maybe not when you first sign up and are all caught up in fantasies about being a super hero who is rich, famous and has lots of fans.

I sort of miss out on three of those I guess as a grimefighter. Oh I think I’m sort of famous. Okay it might only be in this one grammar school class where I got to speak one time. Otherwise I reckon I’m not famous in too many places. I can recommend a few places that claim to be famous for some fast food they sell because they say they have the world’s best whatever, but that is about the only famous I can speak about.

As for the rich part, guess I missed that one all together. Course I suppose part of the reason is because I never found out from my buddy Otis what the right amount is to charge for saving the world from filth and grime. I just keep forgetting to ask.

But since he ain’t rich either I reckon he’s not sure either. So I’ll probably not worry about it too much.

Still when it comes being a grimefighter I know it is my choice. Which means I got to accept what goes with it. And let me tell you sometimes that means bruises.

Oh I wish it didn’t, but those darn griminals sure don’t like to cooperate when you try to keep them from committing some grime. They sort of prefer to get pissed and defend themselves, by clobbering you. Which is why I rely upon my bat a whole lot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don’t because they duck to fast.

In any case those kinds of bruises you learn to expect as a grimefighter. What you don’t expect is the times you get bruises due to some lunk head mistake. Those bruises don’t just hurt your body they hurt your pride and seem a lot longer to get over.

However I remind myself I choose the grimefigther game. And if that means I have to put up with a few pains then I’ll learn to cope. That is Otis’ way of explaining what we do when we try and deal with the pain. All I know is that it sure involves a lot of aspirin.

Which brings me to what happens after all of that. Basically at the end of the day whether I did good or bad and whether I end up with bruises or not, I can still look forward to snoozing.

That is cool too. Because the one thing I can look forward to is that at least in my dreams things work right. Maybe someday I’ll figure a way to skip the choosing and bruising and go straight to the snoozing deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home