Thursday, November 24, 2005

SANDWICH, SAND AND POTATOES

The other day my buddy Otis got into this mood to go on a picnic. He was watching some movie where they had a great picnic and claimed that was the reason. But I don’t think it was the real reason myself.

Now buddy won’t admit to it, but he gets these occasional cravings for potato salad. I’m talking like being able to eat a whole bucket of it by himself and still being hungry.

And in order to make it seem like he doesn’t want potato salad alone what he does is make sure we have sandwiches with it. (Now don’t tell him, but I actually saw my buddy take his sandwich and put some potato salad on it too when he thought I wasn’t watching. However I guess I won’t say to much more on that thing.)

Anyway I went along with his insistence that we go on this picnic thing. The only problem was that the park was full. They were having some kind of big company activity on that Saturday. So we finally ended up down this river and setting on the sand next to it. That worked for Otis I guess. Me, I don’t know, but it sure was tough to keep our food from getting some kind of sand or dirt in it. I just did what I could to pretend it was no big deal. At least my buddy doesn’t get into these potato salad moods that often.

However that ain’t the only way he likes potatoes. He likes French fries, which I do too. And he also likes baked potatoes. Well I think it is a baked potato. It is kind of hard to be sure when he buries it under a mountain of sour cream, butter and that green stuff called jives or chives or whatever.

What really bugged me though was the other day. He was mentioning about going on another picnic and how we should try the river again. So I ended up being a little surprise you know that he wanted to go on a picnic so soon after the last one, but I decided it was better to at least humor him.

Man that would have been okay, but when we got there and he got out the food I discovered that he had managed to forget the sandwiches. Plus he went really crazy and had not only potato salad, but also French fries and also baked potatoes. Boy that was not my idea of a great picnic, but he sure seemed to love it.

And then what totally got to me was that when we came home and got ready for dinner to my shock he decided to have potato pancakes with potato bread for toast. I’m telling you when that guy gets in the mood for potatoes you better watch out.

So at this point I think I’ve seen all the potatoes I want to see for a while. I also hope that Otis has had enough of going on picnic at the river. Because it has been a long time since I used to enjoy eating dirt like when I was a kid.

Meanwhile, I guess I have to confess I am a little worried. I noticed that Otis came home from the grocery store with a couple of bags of potatoes. But I think I’ll keep from worrying too much unless he puts the picnic basket on the kitchen table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home