Thursday, November 17, 2005

AT A SNAIL'S PACE

Okay when is this a good thing? Have you ever watched a snail? Speed ain’t its specialty. Living a slimy trail might be something it could brag about, but it sure won’t win any prizes for speeding.

So if we know all that then why mention some stupid snail when talking about making progress? Is that a good thing?

It sure seems to be over at STINK where I work. Let me tell you my boss Dr. Hemoglobin has a solution for all problems. And when I say all I mean all like no exceptions. Shoot he is always making comments and speeches to us that are suppose to tell us how there are no problems than can’t be fixed with the right effort.

And with him that always seems in some way to involve not ending up moving at a snail’s pace in terms of acting on the solution. Now he might move at a snail’s pace when talking about thinking at times, but I guess in his mind that’s okay. We just can’t do it in terms of acting on whatever he decides is suppose to be a solution.

The other day I sort of got kind of tired of the snail’s pace talk so I went out into this garden and found a snail to take over to STINK and show it to my boss. I figured that maybe if he really saw a snail being slimy as well as slow he might stop boring me with the snail talk and come up with some other way to talk about it.

Good luck on that part is all I can say. I mean lucky me. I found out how easy a snail gets squished.

I put the little guy on the floor and then was going to wait for our boss to come walking down the hall so I could point it out to him when he came by. But I got sort of sidetracked and before I knew it the poor little guy was just one smear on the tile.

And one thing you can be darn sure of it is that no squish snail is going to move at any pace. Unless it happens to stick to the bottom of a shoe that is moving real fast.

Well so much for that experience I guess. I still think it was a good idea, but I haven’t found anymore snails so far.

I did try a different approach sort of. I found this concrete statue of a snail in the garden shop of this retail store. It was a little different than a real snail since it has a big sharp spike on top of its shell for decoration, but I didn’t think that was a big deal. So I picked it up and figured I would take it over to STINK as sort of reminder to our boss what a real snail was like. That way perhaps he would see how silly it was to kind of lecture us about not doing things at a snail pace. I mean even he could be able to tell that people don’t look anything like a snail. Plus see that it was made out of concrete and all I wouldn’t have to worry about it being squished.

So when I got to STINK I just couldn’t wait to show it to him. And the good news is I guess that since I did that Dr. Hemoglobin hasn’t mentioned snails. But I haven’t bothered to ask him if that concrete snail was the reason. Right now I just need to let him cool down after he sat on it when I got busy and accidentally left it in his chair. Oh well that is one time when a snail’s pace probably won’t be so bad in terms of me talking to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home