Saturday, November 26, 2005

INSPIRED LINT

I can feel the brows wrinkling by the title of this posting. I know lint is a lot of things, but I bet you probably never thought of it as potentially inspirational. And neither did I tell the other day.

There are some times when my buddy Otis gets in these moods he called being inspired. I don’t know, but he kind of like to ramble a lot and starts talking weird, at least to me. Normally I just let him keep talking tell he is enough impressed with himself to finally shut up.

The only problem is if he decides to ask me a question about what he just said. Brother that can be such a pain. I mean I do the best I can to look interested and all, but shoot when he starts using all those big words and talking non-stop for like ten minutes who the heck can remember what he said at the beginning? I know I can’t.

Anyway it was during one of these so-called inspired moments he started blabbing about lint. Up till then to me lint was just a pain in the butt. It was just some loose fabric that you found in a dryer or sticking to your clothes that you needed to get rid of. Beyond that I didn’t see any value in it myself.

Well let me tell you that wasn’t the case with Otis. Man did he suddenly decide that lint was really one of the most important things on earth.

Now he started out by mentioned how lint was in fact the “precious fibrous relic of nostalgia’s proportion.” I bet you can imagine how I reacted to that comment. I looked at him like he was from another planet. Basically that I had no idea what the heck he was talking about. (I did at least write down what he said to put in this posting because I sure couldn’t remember it otherwise.)

That is when Otis really got rolling. At least with his tongue. And by the time he got done I swear I was never going to even want to think of lint as just lint anymore.

The thing was we were standing there finishing up the laundry and taking stuff out of the dryer. And I saw how this one sure had all kinds of lint attached to it. Man I hate when that happens. So I started griping.

Which with Otis was a bad idea. Boy after he made that first comment, which nearly made my head spin, he then started out by saying stuff on how things aren’t always how they seem. That lint was a symbol of change and how seeing it was in reality a form of hope that tomorrow could be different if not better than today. So we ought to be grateful each time we see lint because it is prove that life will continue and not come to an end.

Oh he said a lot more than that, but I didn’t try to remember it all. What I did do was know that when it comes to taking clothes out of the dryer that from now on I’ll know better than complain or ask any questions if Otis is there and that is inspiration enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home