Sunday, October 23, 2005

NO REGRETS

I’m still working on this thing. My buddy Otis is always talking about how we should have no regrets when we make a decision to do something. But let me if things don’t work out boy having no regrets isn’t the way I feel.

What I feel is dumb and stupid if it turns out we made a decision and forgot something that ended up in the thing being a big mistake. Otis will sit there with that “it could be worse” type of speech.

Which seems to be okay if I end up being the one who gets messed up because of the no regret goof up. But man if he is the one who gets mess up, well he still gives the no regrets speech, only he sort of doesn’t give it with quite as much enthusiasm.

The thing is as Super Hero grimefighters there are a lot of situations that come up when we got to decide to act on what we think is a problem. I mean part of being a grimefighter is doing what is called prevention. That is where you try to stop a grime before it happens.

What complicates this whole thing though is that people commit grimes. If you were just talking about something simple like rain or a thing where it happen without involving people then the prevention thing would be easier to deal with. Like you know if you see a can of gas with the cap off you just put the cap back on, no big deal.

But with grimefighting it is all about guessing when it comes to prevention. We got to look at some situation and if we see somebody that looks like he or she might litter or be planning some other grime then we got to try and stop him before hand.

The cops shows always talk about stuff like a person being innocent till they are proven guilty. Well I’m sorry, but that in my book is just plain stupid. I mean by the time the person does do whatever it is too late to stop them. Just letting them do it first and not trying to keep them from it is sort of backwards in my thinking. You are just letting them get into the habit of thinking they MIGHT get away with something. It is sort of like that saying “better a safe than a car fee.” Um at least I think it goes that way. Anyway I know it has to do with safes and not getting pissed if you don’t have one. Well something like that.

Anyway that is why it is my rule to whack first and ask questions whenever. If I think some creep is out there thinking that littering is cool and I can stop him before he tries it I think that is down right smart.

I do got to admit though that at times I make a mistake or two in that regard. Like the other day when I saw this dude holding what looked like some scraps of paper. And I just had this gut feeling he was going to toss them on the ground.

Well I couldn’t just stand back and let that happen. So I walked right up to him and used my little wooden buddy to sort of inspire him to forget that idea. Boy was I a big embarrassed when it turned out he was just this guy trying to hand out gospel tracts. But by my whacking him I did get him to say “oh god help me,” a few times. Which makes me feel that perhaps I did help him in terms of the god thing a little. Guess I’ll have to wait to see what the judge says about that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home