Sunday, October 16, 2005

BIG JOYS, LITTLE SMILES

Ever win at something and just be so darn happy you won you didn’t feel a need to boast about it? That sure is a weird feeling to me. I guess when I do something that turns out right it is just natural to want to tell somebody.

But every once and a while it just doesn’t seem all that important. Mainly like when my buddy Otis and I are out doing our grimefighter thing and end up having some really touch assignment that we finish in a good way. Like catching the slime of a griminal who has been guilty of making a big mess.

If it has been a really tough effort to catch the dude, then sometimes just being able to put the cuffs on him and knowing he’ll get what he deserves is enough satisfaction. I’m just so darn tired and relieved it is all over to need to tell anyone.

Now what is really strange is when we do something not that big, but do actually do it correctly. I don’t know, but maybe it is because it was too easy, but I just feel like we need to tell somebody in order to make that event sound more important.

I guess I figured it would be the other way around. Because let me tell you there ain’t no way to talk about busting some litter bug and make it sound real dramatic. It just ends up sounding boring. At least it must to the people we try to tell who spend the time just staring at their watches or yawning.

The one big exception is when my buddy gets in one of his moods to make something sound like a big deal. Let me tell you if my buddy is in one of those moods then he can make the most boring thing in the world sound incredible and fantastic.

Why shoot I can be there with him during the whole thing and still end up thinking it was fantastic when it was something dull and routine. I just wish he felt that way all the time. Because that way we could make all the boring junk look extra cool.

However I imagine that my buddy would sort of get too burnt out lying that much. So I never push it when he doesn’t do that at times when I wish he would.

What I enjoy is looking for that dazzle in his eyes. He gets the coolest expression on his face. Sort of like the same one I get when I am in the candy store looking at the jelly beans or old rat boy, Junior Hemoglobin looks that way when he is talking about cheese.

But when none of that happens. Well I survive. Maybe not feeling quite as cool though. The only nice thing though is knowing there is another day. That is how my buddy describes it when what he means is sooner or later he’ll get in that mood again to spread the old manure as good as any politician.

All I can say is when he does I just hope you aren’t standing down wind. Because the last place you want to be is somewhere the you get the scent and not the joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home