Saturday, October 15, 2005

APPLES AND ORANGES

Why is it with some things it always comes down sooner or later to food? I mean like that saying “dollars to donuts.” It ends with donuts as part of when you are betting so that means food counts in that regards.

And it seems like a lot of stuff is like that. Somewhere in the saying it will involved food. Which is sure okay with me.

Now with this apples and oranges thing it seems from the way my buddy was talking that when you are talking about them you are doing something like comparing only using two things you can’t really compare. Well that is what I got from his comment the other day at least.

He was mentioning how this reporter on television who was talking about the environment and problems keeping it clean and Otis said the guy was talking apples and oranges. Personally I didn’t hear him mention a single word about either fruit so I guess my buddy heard something I didn’t. However from best as I could figure it seems that what was going on was that you ain’t suppose to compare junk if it has nothing in common with whatever else you want to compare it with.

Which sort of makes sense to me I suppose. Because it sure don’t work very well if you are trying to say how one thing is like another if they really aren’t alike at all.

But you know the funny thing is to me that the more I thought about it the more it seemed like there are a lot of people, especially if they are famous who do that. And it mainly seems like if they are famous they feel that they are experts on all kinds of junk even if they don’t really know anything about something.

However just because they are famous somebody listens. So they can go on rambling like they are so darn smart even if they are an idiot on some subject.

What I want to know is how come it is a bad thing to admit when you don’t know something? It sure seems to be a bad idea. Because from what I can tell nobody gets up on television and says, “you know I got no idea on that subject.”

Man wouldn’t it be cool if somebody did to that? Shoot that would be so different to find somebody who admitted they were smart on everything.

But I guess instead we will always end up looking forward to having a bunch of people hanging around and acting all smart and trying to tell us, this is red and that is orange, but they are both round and taste sweet. So one is as good as the other.

And that folks is one thing I suppose we just have to smile and say “whatever” about since people who talk apples and oranges are probably too full of something other than fruit anyway.

In the meantime if you end up hearing anyone else talking apple and oranges maybe you could toss in a banana and make a fruit salad. Then like so many things you would end up with at least something to eat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home