Friday, October 21, 2005

IT'LL DO

Is this ever truly a good thing? I always here it when I ended being stuck with something I don’t really want, but can’t get what I would prefer.

My buddy tries to help by saying “it’ll do.” Only thing is he never says that when it is something he really wants. Then the “it’ll do” sort of becomes some long speech about something sucking big time.

I don’t know, but for me there are some times when “it’ll do” just doesn’t work for me. And I sure don’t mind not being willing to sit down and be happy with something just because it is good enough.

Otis says I’m getting too picky when I do that. He tells me that I need to be more realistic. Only like I said his idea of being realistic seems to only apply to the junk I’m wanting.

I used to take the time to try and tell him I didn’t think that “it’ll do” didn’t work for me. But it never seemed to help in the long run.

So these days what I do is try to figure a way to make sure what I’m wanting isn’t something he’ll say that about. That takes work though, but in the end I think I’m better off.

Now take the other day. We were out shopping for snacks. And naturally the first thing we had to shop for was Spam for my buddy. That’s cool. He is such a Spam addict that I know if I go along with letting him get what he wants first then he is more relaxed and more inclined not to be inclined to get bored when I am talking about needing jelly beans.

The thing is after we got done with all of that stuff he wanted we finally dropped by the candy store. And just my luck they were out of jelly beans. Normally they are never out, but they had this bunch of kids on some school outing stop by and they all cleaned out the candy store.

Well I could tell that my buddy was going to try and give me an “it’ll do” speech and tell me to settle for something else. So I surprised him by pretending I was cool with buying some chocolate covered peanuts instead of jelly beans. I wasn’t, but I wanted him to think so.

Man did that confuse him. He looked at me and said “are you sure?” That’s when I gave him the zinger “it’ll do.”

Boy did he give me a funny look. And for a second he almost ended up sticking me with the chocolate covered peanuts.

Then I don’t know something must have cracked in his brain because he said, maybe we ought to try this other candy store. And the great thing was I ended up with jelly beans. So I consider this one time when the “it’ll do” ended up in the plus side for me.

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: "Some people have incredibly long tongues. So long they can use them to stab you in the back."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home