Thursday, October 27, 2005

BEST OF THE LEAST

There are some people who talk about being the best of the best. And that’s cool. Being the best at something is great.

I just wish that the people who thought they were the best were really as great as they thought. When they aren’t let me tell you those people can be such a pain to deal with.

That’s why Otis and I like to do what we can as Super Hero grimefighting types to encourage little kids to do the best they can. We sort of like to try and help them become the best they can be. And if we find some poor little guy who is kind of shy and backwards we figure trying to make him feel good about himself is even more important.

See that is the part, which really bugs me at times. I mean how is the poor dude who ain’t great going to become at least as best as he can be if everyone is always on his case? From the way I see it complaining at him all the time only makes things worse.

Course you know the tough part at times is finding kids willing to let us inspire them. Oh we try, but I don’t know it is hard at times to find al that many kids who get real excited about the idea of fighting grime.

One thing I did learn though. If we do go out on one of our efforts to encourage we never do it right after we finish our garbage route. Well not at least if we can’t stand down wind.

However outside of remember that little rule everything else is no problem. And let me tell you on those occasions when we get somebody to listen, man it sure must be entertaining because so often they end up laughing the whole time.

Now as for me, I don’t know, but I find it real cool that I can make people smile. But Otis seems to get a little annoyed by it all.

Like the other day when he and I had just finished our trash route and stopped to get something to drink. There were these kids at the convenience store sitting on bikes. And we went up to talk to them.

But they just seemed to want to ask us silly questions and snicker a lot. So eventually I gave up on them and went inside to get a drink for Otis and myself.

As for the kids, well they went inside to get some snacks. I came back and gave Otis his drink. But I guess he was so distracted by being annoyed over those kids laughing that when he got behind the wheel of the garbage truck he ended up not watching where he was going and ran over those kids' bikes.

And then funny thing was that after that I noticed in the side mirror those kids must have thought about what we said and look real serious while looking at their squished bikes. As for Otis he sure looked so darn happy after that. Guess he new he had impressed thse kids after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home