Friday, September 16, 2005

SOMEWHERE BEYOND THE DEW

Now dew is the wet stuff that gets on the lawn and cars early in the morning. I don’t know what God had in mind by creating this stuff, but I know when I try to get on my moped too early on some mornings I better take a towel because I know the seat will be all wet from this dew.

And the thing that bugs me the most is I know that when I get up it will be that one on some days, but I go out to the moped stupidly thinking I don’t need a towel. Then of course I have to make a trip back into the apartment to get a towel and waste all that extra time before I can get going.

I still haven’t figured out how come some days I get stupid that way. But I also know it sure pisses me off and sort of sets my mood for the whole day. I’m really mad at myself, but I would rather be made at everything else since it sounds better to me or at least makes me feel better.

Well there are times when my buddy Otis will see me go through this silliness and he’ll sit back and make some subtle comment about how there is more to life than dew. I know he’s right, but at that moment it isn’t always what I want to hear. So I head off and grumble all day and basically remain pissed.

There are the occasional times though when I will really think about what he said and realize how he is right. So then I stop and take a deep breath and accept there really is life somewhere beyond the dew. That I don’t really need to let that kind of small stuff manage to rob me of the chance to enjoy life.

I hope that all of you are better at not letting the dew ruin your day. As somebody once said, “don’t sweat the small stuff.” I got to admit that is harder to practice than know.

But I do try. And there are days when I think I actually succeed. Then it is funny how life just seems to be between in many other ways. And then I do find life somewhere beyond the dew.

I wish I could figure a way to do that all the time. But I don’t. I know myself well enough to appreciate on some other day the dew is going to get to me again.

Still I don’t give up and along the way I try to remember the good days when I manage to not let the crap bug me as much as the other times. Those are worth remembering. A lot more than the dew anyway.

Isn’t it funny how on different days what is important changes. And that is something that will always be that way I bet.

As for me, well I’m still trying to invest more time remembering what lies somewhere beyond the dew. It sure is a lot more fun than thinking about wet towels!

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: "They say make love not war. But what if you love war? I guess shooting doesn't qualify as a form of saying I love you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home