Wednesday, December 21, 2005

OPEN THE DOOR, BUT CLOSE YOUR MOUTH

My buddy Otis talks about having a conversation on a subject as being like opening a door. And that is okay I guess. It sort of makes sense.

I just wish that when you did open the door it was always to a living room and not some stupid closet. By that I mean that there are times a person can’t talk about a subject without rambling about all kinds of junk like it was a closet full of clutter you were trying to keep hidden.

So even though it might seem like it there are times when I really try to just listen without saying much when somebody wants to talk about a subject. I want to hear what they have to say before I say anything back.

Well I can say I do honestly. That doesn’t always work out that way in some situations. Like with the Reverend Analbe.

I realize that he talks to God and all, but you try talking to him sometime. Man if there is one thing that doesn’t happen with him it is you doing any of the talking. He pretty much has the idea that talking means him moving his lips and you just keeping your mouth shut.

For some weird reason Otis gets in the dumb moods where he’ll actually invite the Reverend over to our apartment. Which I wouldn’t even mind if he would warn me so I could be gone, but apparently he gets some kind of strange pleasure out of seeing me roll my eyes a lot and sigh from shear boredom.

In any case I can pretty much count on the Reverend visiting our apartment occasionally and me having to sit there praying that it will be over soon. Soon is one word that definitely don’t count with the Reverend though.

What is really incredible is how he can carry on a conversation all by himself even if you aren’t there. Heck there was one time when the Reverend was blabbing away about not sinning, which is his favorite subject to talk about it seems and Otis and I just snuck off for a good ten minutes into the kitchen.

You know we came back and he never even seem to notice that we had been gone. If he did he didn’t mention it. And God didn’t tell him either apparently.

It must be nice I reckon if the Reverend did like talking other than preaching at folks. I guess it would be fun to have him tell us some of the cooler things God tells him.

Only that never happens since it seems the only way to keep the Reverend about preaching at you is to give him something to eat. That is the one time he doesn’t do much talking. He doesn’t do much listening either since he’s too busy making eating noises to hear anything you might say.

At least he doesn’t come over every day. I’m not sure I could handle having him bore me with doing all the talking every day. Plus I don’t think I want to end up with all our snacks in his tummy either!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home