Monday, February 20, 2006

TOUGH ENOUGH

Who gets to decide this definition? And I sure hope they make as part of that definition exactly what it applies to.

I mean think about it. Tough enough for say shopping probably means you need a good part of shoes. Whereas if say you want to stop a bullet then you got to be Superman tough enough.

All of that should be obvious I suppose, but I don’t think it really is. See the reason I say that is because sometimes I think my boss’s idea of tough enough is that us grimefighters are sort of almost Superman tough enough. Oh I didn’t say he is getting ready to issue us some blue tights with a big red S on it, but heck man some of the junk he thinks we can do would make you think he was leaning that way.

Now I ask you is it realistic of him to expect us to say lift a garbage truck with our bare hands. He apparently thinks so since there are times when we have a flat tire and when we go to try and change it there ain’t any jack. So I reckon he figures one of us can lift the stupid truck while the other one changes the tire.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m sure nowhere near that kind of tough enough. And as for my buddy Otis, heck he’s a great guy, but he does have a figure like an egg. The last time I checked Superman was hardly shaped like that. So I have a feeling that Otis would sort of qualify for tough enough if Humpty Dumpty was the tough enough you were talking about. Otherwise forget it.

What really bugs me is if we have a flat tire and call in Dr. Hemoglobin really gets upset when we say we can’t change the tire. And if we tell him it is because we don’t have a jack he sort of grumbles a lot and then kind of stalls for a bit before agreeing to send out a tow truck.

I reckon I ought to be grateful that he does that much though. And I suppose I ought to be grateful he hasn’t tried to make us Popeye tough enough. Frankly I ain’t partial in any way to spinach. Plus it would be such a pain to have to carry those spinach cans around. I mean you would need a can opener and all. You try figuring out how you would come up with enough extension cord to use with an electric can opener when you were miles away on a trash route.

So I suppose I’m grateful that with Dr. Hemoglobin he hasn’t gotten that idea in his head. I’m also glad that he doesn’t follow Junior’s idea of tough enough. There is no way I’m going to gobble down a bunch of Limburger cheese for anybody. Besides nobody is going to persuade me that any kind of tough enough would mean I got to have nostrils that were extra strong. I don’t even think Superman has to worry about that. However I have no idea if that Kryptonite junk that bothers him maybe stinks really bad. Guess it would explain why it bugs him. And since my buddy and I have to handle lots of stuff that stinks maybe in that regard we are just as tough as any other super hero. If I ever get a chance to meet one of the other super heroes I’ve have to remember to ask them how good they smell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home