Thursday, May 07, 2009

Barbed Wire

I know that fence is a warning,
even though it has spaces between the wires,
just want to touch what is beyond its barrier,
my heart aches in fiery flashes
can’t stand to merely look,
convinced there is ecstasy on the land,
if I can just be there once.

Didn’t work when I got mauled
last time I breached that barbed forbidden,
the soil past its taboo metal thorns
never brought me half the pleasure
to replace the misery of cuts.

Learned a lesson to not try that ground again,
but this one looks so much different,
really isn’t very scenic
not even as appealing as the other earth.

Still that craving can’t be denied,
though I totally accept trying will hurt,
invisible fingers of a grassy siren
are tugging at my mind.

Closing my eyes and grabbing that steel line,
blood gushes from palms
at the moment they hold those tiny spikes,
don’t stop till I can say that my head made it inside
and is breathing that denied air space.

Tomorrow I’ll bandage my wounds,
follow that metal boundary
unto one acre I haven’t tried,
though deep down I know it won’t be different,
guess that is why it was built for cattle
who never stop testing its resistance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home